Thursday, September 17, 2020

I wasn't exactly in a good place, so this is what I did

Hello, my lovelies. We are on the back end of the week and I'm sure that most are excited. For some of us, it's just another Thursday and nothing really changes much from day to day. That's a bit what my days are like, and they tend to almost run together most of the time. One day just melts into another and so on.

Today I have struggled to get through the day, and hoping that maybe if I were to film a DIY project for my YouTube channel, that it would make me feel a bit better. But, I'm still just kind of just moving. So, what is this project that I've started? Well, it's a greenhouse/hoop house. I am reusing quite a bit of material that I already have, and that makes me feel pretty good. As soon as I've finished it, I will add photos and share the video link. I'm pretty proud of my idea and work so far.

What I've done, is use 24 electric fence t-posts, ran 12 posts on either side for 22 feet, spaced 2 feet apart. The total width is 5 feet, for a 22x5 foot structure. I then took 12 lengths of 1/2 inch PVC pipe and placed them on opposing t-posts and created a half hoop. I measured up 24 inches from the ground on each post and made sure that each end sat down to that mark on each post. It's already looking great.

I had all 24 posts from garden purchases these last 2 years, but only had 4 of the PVC lengths. I purchased 10 more for the cost of about $28, then purchased 2 bags of 1/2 inch metal pipe straps, a box of steel screws and 2 PVC 'T' connectors for another $11. My next purchase will be some 2x4's, a couple of sheets of plywood and of course, the 6 mil 100x20 foot greenhouse plastic. That stuff will not be until around the first of October, as I don't need to add any of it until just before the first frost. 

So, I'm actually pretty excited about this build and I am hoping that my experiment works out through the winter. My goal is to be able to grow food year-round from a fairly economical and simple greenhouse/hoop house build.

Remember that you are not alone in your struggles.

Live from the Earth. Play in the dirt.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment